Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Friendship Star Quilt


This is my "Friendship Star" quilt. I began making it at the "Quilting in the Country" quilt retreat. The basic block is just one square. If you do it right it is very easy. I didn't sew my small triangles on exactly right so it became very hard. This is the hardest quilt I have ever made. It looks like it too, though in reality it should have been an easy quilt. I started making it in October and just finished it.

As you can see, the basic block is just a light strip and a dark strip sewed together. They were cut into 4 1/2 inch squares. Next I sewed a dark square to the light strip and a light square to the dark strip. You then cut off the extra material underneath. I chose to sew an extra line at this point to give me a bunch of 1 1/4 inch half square triangles that I eventually used for the border and also for a wall hanging.

Here you can see the left over half square triangles that I used for the border. They turned out really pretty, but were a lot of work. It was worth it to me in the end though.

I was surfing the Internet and saw someone put on their label this way. I liked it so I tried it here. I think it is an easy way to add a label and also a very nice way.

My quilting is a leaf pattern. Kathy Wolfe at Nelda's Quilt Shop did it for me.

Another close up of the quilt label.
This is the nicest quilt I have ever made. I am very proud of it. I hope to add a hanging sleeve and hang it in my son's room.
Dawn asked how I made my label. I printed what I wanted to say on paper and then had Nelda embroidry it. I didn't do the actual embroidry, but did the design and sewing it on to the quilt.

25 comments:

Dawn said...

Beautiful! How do you make your labels?

Lynnae said...

It turned out beautiful. Your patience and work paid off.

Dionne said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love how you did that label, what a wonderful touch!
Cheers,
Dionne

Annette said...

Your quilt is gorgeous. I love the colors. Beautiful!!

Grandma said...

What a great quilt. I love the block pattern and the fabrics. That was a wonderful idea to put the label in the corner. I have never seen it done that way.. very elegant.

Cindy in Seattle

Bunny said...

simple yet very elegant. love the colors.

rachel griffith said...

great quilt!!!

rachel griffith said...

great fabric/color choices.

Zonnah said...

The quilt is beautiful and that is a great way to do a label.

Crispy said...

Very very pretty quilt. I'm not a fan of the friendship star block, but the scrappiness of the stars and the setting really gives this quilt movement.

Crispy

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is lovely and I love your label too.

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful quilt! Love the colors.

Beth said...

This is just beautiful! I love the fabrics you used and the design! A very special quilt :)
Beth
http://cornerhousequilts.blogspot.com

Terri Stegmiller said...

Beautiful quilt. thanks for sharing the label idea.

Scrappy quilter said...

Beautiful quilt. I love the colors too.

stitchinpenny said...

A lovely very traditional looking quilt. I have been so happy to see many variations on quilting and piecing in the show.

Unknown said...

I can never throw out those left over half triangles either! I love to make baby quilts or pass them to my little girl to practice her 1/4" seams :) I love your quilt, it is deceptively simple! The colors and quilting are beautiful - thank you for sharing!

Bethany said...

I love how you did the label and the colors in this quilt are so gorgeous. Fabulous job!

Quilt Rat said...

Terrific quilt, great colours and love that corner label!

Micki said...

I love the look of the quilt...very elegant!
Micki

Coloradolady said...

very pretty. I love the warm colors in the quilt. So many quilts and all so different.

Ariane said...

A beautiful quilt. I love it.

Stephanie D said...

That is so impressive to be such a simple block! Love the colors and placement. This is lovely!

whoopdedoo_5 said...

love the stars! great job!

Mandy said...

Lovely quilt. That is such a nice way to add a label too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails