The way I make my bed it actually fits on this double bed. I changed the pattern a bit. I added the inner border with the half square triangles. They look like flying geese, but they are half square triangles. I wanted to make a quilt that fit on a bed instead of a lap quilt.
I read somewhere that is you have a busy border to do line quilting. I did it here and really like this border effect.
I wanted custom quilting for this quilt. I wanted to do it myself on my domestic machine. In this section of the quilt, I wanted to push down the wool batting so the african points would puff up.
Some of my left over fabric was really small so I made four patches and pinwheels from it. The rest I purchased in fat quarters and a few half yards. I used mostly the fabrics from the front, but had to add a few to make enough blocks to get the size I wanted.
This photo shows the entire top better.
This shows the entire back better.
This is a close up of the quilting on the inner border.
I did stippling in the background to let the star and the squares puff up and stand out. I did the ditch stitching, and it looked pretty, but after the stippling, it really looked nice.
This shows the stippling from another angle. You can also see the swirls I did in the center star.
This was a very easy quilt to piece. I did the center medallion in one day. I had to figure out my own outside border because the pattern didn't show a border for this size quilt. It finishes as a full size quilt. The pattern does different things to make the quilt larger. I only liked the lap quilt and the king size quilt designs, but I wanted a double or twin. I think my design worked out pretty well.
This is the hardest quilt I have ever photographed because of the dark colors. Some photos were overexposed intentionally. I also had trouble getting the photos in order during the posting. I hope you enjoyed the post anyway.